Monday, September 14, 2009

Halloween Tray

This tray was an idea I had had for a very long time before I ever sat down to make it, and then once I did, it got snatched up by my favorite client! If I had trusted myself and the design to begin with, I would have bought ALL of the blank trays I could find that day.....Bad news is of course, I didn't and this is the only one and I believe will be happily residing at Ally's house.
Basically, I found a lightweight wooden tray in the craft section of WalMart (of all places!) & immediately knew what to do with it. I was very pleased with the result. I painted the top edge with Making Memories Asphalt paint and lightly sanded it after drying. I tend to use a sanding block from the paint section of Home Depot. They're relatively cheap and easy to handle, but regular lightweight sandpaper works just fine. You can even use an emery board... I chose some of my personal favorites from the 'scrap box' and coordinating ribbons to tie on the handles in knots. The tag is Daisy D's, the stripe on the left is Rusty Pickle, the spider web pattern is Making Memeories & comes flocked or not, depending on how and where you buy it. I used a spider brad with a rhinestone to highlight one of the webs which I applied before adhering to the tray. Both patterned pieces were edged with black ink and all were adhered with Tacky Tape because I wanted some longevity for this piece. I wanted it to get 'used'. The black strip is a textured specialty paper I found somewhere.....but you can use any black cardstock or even a nice wide black ribbon. A velvet ribbon would be a nice substitution.
This tray was quick and easy to make & is a great example of how you can make something just as cute, especially if you aren't afraid to dig through your scrap box or make substitutions. Enjoy! & Happy Halloween!
Shannon

3 comments:

  1. Ok, how did your "favorite client" see it first? I want one : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had posted this on Facebook & she jumped on it! :) If I could find trays, I'd make a lot more...How cute would this be as a cookie tray for Santa?
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just tell you that this tray looks SO FABULOUS hanging on my bathroom wall!? Might sound like an odd place for it, but EVERYONE sees it! I love it... and yes, I will be snapping up your cookie tray for Santa too! I will so use that!!!

    ReplyDelete